19 Jun YOGA PRACTICE FOR FULL MOON, SUMMER SOLSTICE & YOGA DAY
(Illustration from Stargazer, Melt/Sacred Geometry visualmelt.tumblr.com found on Pinterst)
Hello – Thank you for stopping by!
Goa Flow-er Franscesca asked me if i could share what you can do as a Full Moon/Summer Solstice practice.
Unfortunately i don’t have one that combines both (mental note to self to make 🙂 But here is a suggestion to how you can practice integrating them both, with videos that will support you.
I hope it is helpful.
On Monday June 20th we have a Summer Solstice and a Strawberry Full Moon in Sagittarius (the second full moon in Sagittarius in a row). And International Yoga Day on Tuesday June 21st.
Full Moon and Summer Solstice is all about light. When it is Full Moon the Sun shines its light onto the Moon to make her glow. The Moon itself has no light. It’s all a reflection of the Sun.
Summer Solstice is the lightest and longest day of the year.
Yogic teaching speaks of the Sun not only as an outer source of energy, but as a inner source of energy that’s within each and everyone of us. We all have our own “inner sun.” Each one of us is Sun, a Universal Light of consciousness.
Our goal in yoga is to awaken to our inner light that is supreme light that pervades the entire Universe. Focus on this during your full moon and solstice practice.
How can you shine your brightest light? What do you need to fill yourself up with in order to shine your brightest light (self confidence, a clear mind, self-love etc)? And on the flip side; what might you need to release in order to shine your brightest light (self-doubt, anger, lethargy, low self-esteem etc)? (Here is a video i made about the full moon and what it means).
For your yoga practice during the Full Moon and Summer Solstice you can:
- Create an ALTAR // Create an altar for yourself. Keep it simple. Use what you have. But think light. Here is an alter i made for a workshop i had recently at The Life Centre in London for a Sun, Sweat & Samadhi Workshop i did in honour of Summer Solstice on June 21st. The colour theme was yellow, red, golden, orange. I used sun flowers, candles, inscence, fruits, mala beads, crystals. You can add photos, a poems, a word that resonates with you, a quote. Each person in my workshop added something that had meaning to them.
- CENTER IN // Center in to your breath, set your intention. Take two pieces of paper. On one paper write down a thing you would like to let go of, on the other paper write down a thing you would like to focus on filling yourself up with.
- CHANTING & MUDRA // Two mudras that are great to integrate are The Surya Mudra and the Full Luna Mudra (below). Chanting OM, or Hreem, or the Gayatri Mantra are all important mantras in saluting the Sun and light.
- SUN SALUTATIONS, SUN FLOW // You can start off your practice with a few rounds of Sun Salutations (between 7-108 cycles). Keep your gaze on the sun while connecting into your inner sun. I offer a few videos below where i share Sun Salutation A & B (the Ashtanga Yoga version). Also watch the Summer Solstice 108 sun salutations as inspiration.
- MOON SALUTATION, MOON FLOW // After you have warmed up with the sun cool down with the Moon, and turn your gaze inward to your inner moon. fill yourself up with what you need on your inhale and let go of what no longer is needed on your exhale.
- RESTORE, CONTEMPLATION // End with a long meditation and Shavasana.
- SHINE YOUR LIGHT // Then go out there and shine your brightest light!!
SOLAR & LUNAR FLOWS
Below i’ve included a bunch of solar and lunar flows you can take advantage of and follow and create your own little routine that inspires the light within you and around you. Have fun!
SUMMER SOLSTICE 108 SUN SALUTATIONS INSPIRATION //
This video shows you how you can set up your own Summer Solstice Celebration with a 108 theme or any other number you choose for yourself.
SUN SALUTATION A & B //
In this video i start the practice off with Sun Salutation A & B. You can follow along to it, if you don’t want to do it on your own.
SUN SALUTATION A & B //
In this video i guide my friend, Ruah Bhay in Sun Salutation A & B. She is pregnant (as the titled shares), but you barely notice in her movement. Even though you’re not pregnant this one will be perfect to do. 15 minutes and you’ve done 5 A’s & 5 B’s.
FULL MOON, FLOW INTO YOUR FULLEST POTENTIAL
RELEASE, RESTORE, RECHARGE FULL MOON FLOW //
5o MIN TOTAL BODY YOGA BALANCE YOGA FLOW FOR INNER CALM DURING TENSE TIMES | FULL MOON //
20 MIN YOGA FLOW FOR PEACE & QUIET / MOON SALUTATION 2
20 MIN YOGA FLOW FOR BALANCE | MOON SALUTATION 1 | Full Moon